March 5, 2020: Coronavirus Update from Congressman Paul Mitchell
As your representative in Congress, I want to share an update on the developing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, and the steps being taken at the federal and state level to keep people safe.
Given the nature of the virus, further spread of Coronavirus is expected. However as of March 5, there are currently no confirmed cases in Michigan’s 10th district.
Actions Taken by the Federal Government
- This week, Congress passed on a bipartisan basis and the President signed a $8.3 billion supplemental spending bill to ensure our nation is prepared for a disease outbreak and emerging health threats abroad. I supported this measure that will go towards purchasing essential equipment and supplies, assisting state and local health departments, making diagnostic tests more broadly available, and accelerating the development of a vaccine. These are just some of the provisions included to address the developing situation. To read a summer of the suppmenetal spending bill, click here.
- A public health emergency has been declared in the United States. This is a temporary designation that gives the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services flexibility in how they allocate funds and personnel
- The National Institutes of Health are actively working with Pharmaceutical companies on developing a vaccine for COVID-19.
- Multiple travel advisories have been issued to inform travelers about current issues that could affect their health. For a full list of these, click here.
- As of March 5, there are no individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in the state of Michigan. The state has tested eight individuals of concern, all which came back negative.
- As of February 28, Michigan activated the State Emergency Operation Center to coordinate all state agencies against the spread of Coronavirus
- As of February 29, Michigan state laboratories can use their tests for the virus, rather than send all samples throgh the CDC.
List of CDC and Michigan Resources
For a full list of resources and regular updates, you can also check my website, where I'll be posting the latest Coronavirus information.
Member of Congress