Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Connect

Congressman Paul Mitchell

Representing the 10th District of Michigan

Mitchell Statement on the Budget Deal

February 8, 2018
Press Release

 

WASHINGTON- Rep. Paul Mitchell (MI-10) released the following statement this morning on the proposed two-year budget deal:

 

“As I said earlier this week on the House floor, continuing resolutions and mounting deficits are serious concerns for our nation, however it's essential that Congress fulfills its most basic obligations to keep the lights on and defend our nation,” said Mitchell. “This budget deal breaks the gridlock that has backed up Congress for the past several years, and allows us to move forward on issues facing our nation and folks back home. It allows Congress to fund and rebuild our military, which has been devastated by insufficient funding for too long. It directs resources to fight the opioid epidemic, tackle the VA backlog, and invest in infrastructure. It provides two years of funding to community health centers, including the 11 centers in the 10th District of Michigan, and provides a four-year extension to current six-year funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), ensuring the program is funded for the next ten years. I’ve been working with a group of my colleagues to develop fundamental reforms to fix our budget process and tackle our deficit issue. With this two-year deal behind us, we will be able to address these issues in a constructive manner. I urge my colleagues to support this agreement.”

 

###

Issues: