Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our Congressional District.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in our District. The winning artwork of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will include the winning artwork from all participating districts from around the country. The winning artwork is also featured on House.gov's Congressional Art Competition page.
To participate, students must drop off their (1) piece of artwork and student release form, below, at the Shelby Township district office by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday April 12, 2017.
The following is a summary of the Congressional Art Competition rules:
CONGRESSIONAL ART COMPETITION RULES
Dimensions for the artwork should be no larger than 26in. X 26in. X 4in. including the frame Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork include:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collages: must be two dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
All entries must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted. Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
Please see below for the full checklist, rules, and the student release form required for entry:
- 2017 Art Submission Checklist
- 2017 Rules and Regulations
- 2017 Student Release Form – REQUIRED FOR ALL ARTWORK AT TIME OF DROP-OFF
Student artwork will be on display from April 17th-April 28th, in an open gallery for public viewing at Studio 1219, 1219 Military St., Port Huron, MI 48060.